Image Map

Saturday, September 7, 2013

Student Progress Notebooks

A while back I talked about sharing my student progress notebooks with you. Oh my! The beginning of the year was a whirlwind! We've been back three weeks and this weekend is the first one where I have felt a sense of calm and am not worried about Monday. I left yesterday afternoon with my plans done, centers set up, and homework ready. I wish I could be that prepared every Friday!

So here they are. My Student Progress Notebooks for each student in my Special Day Class. This is where I keep all of my data on students, work samples, and parent communication. They sit right behind my desk for easy access. Data tracking is one of the most difficult things to find time to do. I try and make things easy so it will get done.

Inside the binder I keep the following information: Communication Contacts, Audiological information, IEP goal data sheets, Parent communication log sheets, information from the mainstream classroom, Misc., and then Work Samples in the back.

Page 1- Communication Contacts. Often times our students have lots of different people working with them. Everyone from their private audiologist to CCS caseworkers. This is a handy reference page that makes life easier when I need to make a phone call.

 
Page2- Audiological information. It's nice to have it handy in one little spot for easy reference. It also helps to make sure I am up to date on the most current information.

Section 1- Data sheets to track student progress toward IEP goals. I've used several different forms over the years. I just developed this one over the summer that I think will be easier to use this year. It has one IEP goal per page, but has space for 13 weeks worth of data. We are on Trimester reporting, so this will be easy to go back and look at data when it's progress report time. If you'd like to try out the IEP data tracking sheet you can download it here from Google Docs.


Section 2- Parent Communication Logs. I got these from the Clutter-Free Classroom last summer during a Flash Freebie. (I can't find them on TpT, sorry.)

Section 3- Mainstream. I put any communication from the mainstream teachers into this section. This could also include paperwork the mainstream teachers give me like their grading rubrics.

Section 4- Miscellaneous. Anything that doesn't fit in any of the other sections.

Section 5- Work Samples. This is where I store all of the student's work I need to keep to document progress. This includes assessment results, our story retells, and their DRA folders.

Hopefully my Student Progress Notebooks have inspired you to document and to keep your student's data organized. Because in Special Education, if it isn't documented, it didn't happen. If any of these forms (Communication Contacts, Audiological Info, IEP Goal Data form) could be helpful to you feel free to download and use them. You can find the forms here on Google Docs.


Have a great weekend!

5 comments:

  1. I love what you said about...if it isn't documented, it didn't happen. That is so very true, Kelly. One day I'm going to be as neat and as organized as you are. You just wait and see. I'm so glad that you finally got a little break this weekend. This was my first weekend school free too. I was shocked it happened so early in the year.
    Alison
    Rockin' and Lovin' Learnin'

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your IEP tracker. Is it possible to edit and insert for quarter instead of trimester?

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is great! I do wonder if you could make these editable? It would be great to have it typed up, at least the top part. Either way, this is amazing, so thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Found this on pinterest and (jaw drop) could not believe it was free! THANK YOU SO MUCH!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah! I'm glad you found this helpful!
      Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete